Merial - Frontline Tritak-Dog-Dangerous Allergic Reaction

Switched my jack Russell terrier over to the Frontline Tritak after visiting my vets office & they no longer sold the Frontline Plus (which I've always given my dogs with NO reactions) Within 2hours after applying the first dose ever of the Tritak, my jack was loosing his mind.Running around like he was trying to escape from his own skin, agitated, as if someone was pinching him on the back at regular intervals; trying to scratch his back but unable to reach.

He honestly couldn't sit still for 5 seconds. Took him to urgent care at my vets office....where after $150 in charges, he was bathed & given a diphenhydramine (benedryl) shot to help calm his reaction. They said it was an allergic reaction to the added ingredient in the new Tritak product. I have since been online reading the reviews, and boy oh boy, do I wish I'd researched this ahead if time!

Apparently this is a common reaction in smaller dog breeds. I honestly never thought twice when I purchased the Tritak product as it appeared to just be a variant or 'improved' Frontline Plus product, which I had trusted the name Frontline for years. DO NOT use the product labeled Frontline Tritak it includes an added ingredient cyphenothrin which claims to repel ticks & start killing fleas, lice within 1-2 hours of application. Well in my case it quickly proved dangerous within hours!

Up all night with my agitated doggy giving him regular doses of benedryl to keep him settled.Very disappointed!

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 33 Yes 33 1 No 1
Had the same issue 44 Yes 44
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 10 #1183465 Excelsior Springs, Missouri

I have just gone through the same thing with my long haired chihuahua. It's the weekend and the nearest ER is 45 mins. to an hour away. We got no sleep last night and when she tries to lay down her whole body jerks out of control so she walks around and around the couch. Today is a little better but she is barking and crying and having trouble sitting still.

May 16 #1159946

Wow, now I know what's wrong with my dog! My dog who is 90 lbs had the same symptoms.

May 12 #1158117

Same with my 19 lb Westie and 13 lb maltipoo. Never had an issue with frontline plus though. My Westie ran around rubbing his back on anything and my maltipoo didn't show any discomfort. But 3 days later, I noticed a huge red scabby rash at the application site on the maltipoo. This was the same rash that appeared when I first applied Tritak for the first month but didn't think anything of it.

May 06 #1155002

My shih tzu the same exact reaction and now he seems to have a large scab in the area it was applied, he won't even let us touch the area, it has been over a week, has anyone else's pup got a scab like this?

Apr 21 #1147877

By the way we were told by the vet these symptoms/reactions could last up to 3 days.

Apr 21 #1147875

We have had the same experience with our 3yr old mini Snoodle. However a muscle relaxer was prescribed as the benedryl did not help aleve any of the symptoms. We were also told to wash him in Dawn dish detergent. STAY AWAY from this product!!!!

Apr 09 #1141930

I just experienced the symptoms with my mini dachshund. He was going CraZy! I realized hours later, he was having a reaction to Tritak. Immediately rinsed him off! Took about 24hrs till I started to see a real improvement

Mar 29 #1135765 Cincinnati, Ohio

Same reaction for our dog. Ours a large (75 lb) poodle mix -- so it's not confined to small dogs.

Nov 22, 2015 #1068048

Same Here!!! My little Chihuahua became red and inflamed in a matter of 3 hrs.... off to the vet for a Shot of Steroids! Serious reaction.... not happy!

Sep 20, 2015 #1036251

Same exact reaction, terrible product!

May 13, 2015 #983653

I put the Frontline Tritak on my 6lb Shih Tzu last night and she had the same exact reaction. She was freaking out, restless, jumpy, twitchy, whining. I gave her some benedryl and was able to kind of go to sleep but only if she was laying on me and I was petting her. I will NEVER use this stuff again! I was up all night long checking on her to make sure she was still breathing. Definitely going to do my research this time before I put anything else on her!

1 0 Reply
Cathy

Oct 31, 2014 #893546

I had the exact same experience last night with my 13 lb Maltipoo.
I did not go to the ER but I did give her Benedryl. She was up all night, very agitated and uncomfortable. My other dog had a terrible reaction to the new Nexgard. No more Flea/Tic medication for my dogs.

Alexia

Sep 23, 2014 #874359

I have a 12 lb. pomerian/lhaso , she had tremors along her back, was very nervous and agitated, called vet, he recommends giving her a bath in dawn dish detergent and to rinse with lots of water , also had to give her benedry. She had the tremors in her back for 2 more days(gradually decreased ). Will not be using this product in the future!

Sep 14, 2014 #869900 Lexington, Kentucky

The reviews I have read are helpful except no one gives any indication as to how long my sweet dogs will be hyper and unable to rest.

1 0 Reply

Sep 14, 2014 #869922

Probably until you wash it off. I posted my review in hopes that people would consider another product. Not subjecting their pet to any unnecessary distress!

Aug 02, 2014 #850136

Our 25lb. mutt had the same reaction.

Disappointed2

Aug 01, 2014 #849565

Same with my Shih Tzu. Poor pup had a time which meant we had one too. We should have understood better how to navigate the flee and tick world.
Disappointed2

Nancy

Jun 11, 2014 #826507

I tried Frontline Tritak on my 17 lb dog and noticed she was agitated and twitchy. Just saw this posting so I bathed her and am giving her Benadryl. Hopeful she calms down and we don't need to go to the vet tonight.

anonymous

Mar 02, 2014 #790150

I am so sorry to hear about your dog and hope he gets better. I used Frontline Tritak on my cat and it has been a nightmare! This product is basically Frontline Plus with an added toxic drug. It is called Etofenprox and is a pyrethrin-based drug that should NEVER be used on cats. My poor cat has suffered immensely with a red-blood colored burn from the application site, extreme itching, blood in the urine, vomiting, seizures and overall misery.
I called Merial to ask what to do with such a severe reaction and I was told that "they would not speak with a consumer about 'problems' and would only speak to a vet." When I checked with the EPA about the registration for this drug, it was not listed. Almost every website regarding Frontline Tritak is about dogs--there is a reason for that--it should NOT be used for cats.
Tonight my cat started hysterically biting at the base of his tail almost as if he was having a seizure. I bathed him to get the nasty toxic drug off his skin hoping he gets better.

Nov 29, 2013 #750093 Charlotte, North Carolina

Same experience with my 8 year old 6lb Yorkie-Poo. I've been using Frontline for years but experiencing adverse reactions to Tritak. He's been itching excessively, squealing and restless within hours of applying the product.

1-20 of 22 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.